E-12 Education: Strong Schools, Successful Students
Our Minnesota State Constitution states that it is the duty of the legislature to establish a “uniform system of public schools” in order to maintain the stability of our republic. Jamie takes this duty seriously and makes supporting our public schools a top priority.
- Fully and equitably funding public schools, including indexing the per pupil formula to inflation.
- Reducing class sizes and supporting teachers so that every child can reach their full potential.
- Expanding access to voluntary public pre-K programs while maintaining options for families.
- Increasing in-school support services, such as access to mental health resources.
Jamie is endorsed by Education Minnesota.
Good Jobs: Supporting Working Families
Jamie believes every Minnesotan should have access to a good job. When Jamie talks about good jobs, she means livable wages, meaningful benefits and the ability to retire. Working 60 hours a week at two jobs for low pay is not the solution.
- Paid family leave for all workers – giving individuals the ability to take care of a new baby, a sick child, or an aging parent without fear of losing their jobs.
- Increasing the minimum wage to $15 per hour.
- Ensuring all Minnesotans are safe from workplace harassment and discrimination.
- Protecting workers’ ability to unionize for better pay, benefits and their own safety at work.
- Making it easier for all workers to save for retirement. Jamie is the co-author of the Secure Choice Retirement Plan, an AARP priority that streamlines pre-tax retirement contributions straight from your paycheck.
Jamie is endorsed by:
- AFSCME Council 5
- AFSCME Council 65
- SEIU (Service Employees’ Union)
- Minnesota Association of Professional Employees (MAPE)
- SMART (Sheet Metal, Air, Rail and Transportation union)
Protecting our Natural Resources
Jamie is a lifelong Minnesotan who grew up deer hunting, fishing, and harvesting wild rice with her family. She knows our suburban district is unique – with 14 different lakes! – with many residents who value their time outside. Clean water now and in the future is incredibly important.
Jamie is the Vice Chair of the Environment & Natural Resources Policy Committee and has earned the following awards: 2017 Trailblazer Award from Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy, 2017 Legislative Award from Sierra Club North Star Chapter, 2018 Legislator of the Year Award from Bluffland Whitetails Association, 2019 Legislator of the Year from Clean Water Action.
Jamie serves on the Outdoor Heritage Council to make recommendations regarding spending of Legacy dollars and is a member of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association and the National Wild Turkey Federation.
- Enforcing our environmental protection laws and holding polluters accountable. The costs of clean-up shouldn’t fall on tax payers.
- Working proactively to address threats like aquatic invasive species and chronic wasting disease. These threats affect our Minnesota traditions and impact our billion dollar outdoors economy.
- Accepting the realities of climate change and promoting transitions to renewable energy, including bringing more renewable energy jobs to Minnesota.
- Protecting our public land and resources. These resources belong to all of us and Jamie collaborates with hunters, anglers, hikers, bikers, and campers to make sure our great outdoors are accessible to all Minnesotans.
- Chief author of the No Child Left Inside grant program to schools and community organizations to provide meaningful outdoor experiences for kids.
Jamie is endorsed by:
- Sierra Club – North Star Chapter
- Conservation Minnesota Voter Center
- Clean Water Action
Taking Care of our Neighbors
Jamie prioritizes the safety the dignity of our seniors and those who aren’t always able to advocate for themselves. As the sibling of someone with physical disabilities, Jamie knows first hand how important it is to make sure our family members are safe and respected.
- Stronger regulation, reporting and licensing of nursing homes and memory care facilities to keep seniors safe.
- Increasing reimbursement rates for home care and residential staff so that quality care can be provided in whatever setting works best for individuals and their families.
- Increasing disability service funding so that people with disabilities can live full lives.
Jamie is endorsed by the Minnesota Nurses Association.
Building Safer Communities
Outside of the legislature, Jamie has worked as a prosecutor specializing in domestic violence crimes. She works alongside victim advocates and law enforcement to seek justice. At the Capitol, Jamie is a leading voice speaking up for victims of sexual assault, harassment and domestic violence.
- Preventing violence and sexual harassment by proactively working with those affected to find solutions.
- Background checks on all gun purchases and stronger enforcement of our current gun safety laws.
- Extreme risk gun violence protection orders to keep guns out of the hands of people who are found to be a danger to themselves or others.
- Appropriately funding our criminal justice system, including safe staffing levels for correctional officers.
- Taking care of emergency responders, including providing resources for PTSD and other health problems resulting from serving our community.
- a Moms Demand Action Gun Sense Candidate
- a Protect Minnesota Orange Star Candidate
Affordable, Accessible Healthcare
Jamie believes everyone has a right to quality healthcare. We need to work towards reform of the system instead of doubling down on insurance company bailouts. Jamie’s mom and grandma are both nurses and Jamie is endorsed by the Minnesota Nurses Association.
- Protecting women’s rights to make their own healthcare decisions.
- Allowing more people the opportunity to buy in to MinnesotaCare, giving everyone the opportunity to benefit from lower prices in a larger pool.
- Doing what we can to make sure pre-existing condition protections stay in place.
- Cost transparency for procedures and prescription drugs.
- Working towards true parity for mental health coverage and building a mental health care system that works.
Jamie is endorsed by Planned Parenthood and WomenWinning.
Higher Education: Building the Future
A college education or trade skills training shouldn’t tie students to a lifetime of debt. Jamie also believes that a traditional 4-year college degree is only one option as we build our future and an economy that works for everyone.
- Lowering tuition and investing in the University of Minnesota and other public colleges and universities.
- Helping high schools prepare students for the workforce by making sure all students have the opportunity to graduate with college credits or on-the-job experience.
- Increasing access to job skills training for all ages, such as construction trades apprenticeship programs that lead to stable union careers.